New Immuno-Oncology Startup out of Baltimore Launches at JPM Healthcare Conference with Veteran Board, Advisors and Officers
VerImmune’s Novel technology platform enables redirection of pre-existing natural immunity towards fighting cancer
BALTIMORE (Originally Published via PRWEB) JANUARY 13, 2020
VerImmune Announces New Board, Advisors and Officers
VerImmune, a privately-owned immuno-oncology biotechnology company developing a first-in-class broad spectrum cancer therapy, known as “Anti-tumor Immune Redirection”, announced today that it has established its new Board of Directors, Board of Advisors and Officers.
VerImmune is developing a novel cancer therapy utilizing a proprietary virally-derived platform technology known as Anti-tumor Immune Redirectors (AIR). This technology redirects natural pre-existing immunity from past infections or childhood vaccines to fight cancer. This unique technology approach specifically targets solid tumor cells and causes them to appear as virally infected, resulting in a robust recall of memory immune responses against the cancer cells.
Given the ubiquitous nature of pre-existing responses to childhood vaccines and/or past-infections, AIR is applicable to the general cancer population. At the same time, the technology may serve as a customizable targeted immunotherapy. It is envisioned that clinicians would review a patient’s health history or vaccination record, in conjunction with possible companion diagnostics, to leverage the appropriate AIR product as a novel cancer treatment option that could be used as a monotherapy or in combination with other treatment modalities.
VerImmune is located in Baltimore, Maryland. Joining CEO and Scientific founder, Joshua Wang, Ph.D., and his scientific team, is a team of highly experienced drug development veterans who will form the management and advisory team. The group includes:
- Roger Pomerantz, MD, FCAP, Director (currently President, CEO and Chairman of ContraFect Inc.)
- Robert Silverman, MBA, Director (former CEO of mtm laboratories AG)
- John Troyer, Ph.D., Co-Founder and COO, VerImmune (former VP of Product Development at PharmAthene)
- Alain Rolland, Pharm.D., Ph.D., Business Advisor (currently COO at Emerald Health Pharmaceuticals)
- Solomon Langermann, Ph.D., Business and Scientific Advisor (currently Chief Scientific Officer of NextCure, Inc)
- Eric Richman, MBA, Business Advisor (currently Chairman of LabConnect and Director of Neubase, Zyversa and ADMA Biologics).
Located in Baltimore, Maryland, VerImmune is an Immuno-Oncology company developing a first-in-class cancer therapy based on Anti-tumor Immune Redirection. This strategy utilizes a proprietary tumor-specific, tumor type-agnostic, virus-inspired platform termed Anti-tumor Immune Redirectors (AIR) that redirects pre-existing pathogenic or childhood vaccine immune memory towards tumors. This unique mechanism of action allows differentiation within the competitive Immuno-Oncology market. Importantly, it potentially changes the treatment paradigm for many patients who have untreatable cancers due to limited options or resistance. The Company initially raised a seed round and demonstrated proof-of-concept in preclinical studies for its lead product candidate, VERI-101; it is planning to move VERI-101 to an IND in 2020.
For more information visit: http://www.verimmune.com
Forward-Looking Statements Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on current expectations, forecasts, assumptions and other information available to VerImmune as of the date hereof. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding VerImmune’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “envisioned”, “may,” “will,” “potential,” “expects,” “believes,” “intends,” “hope,” “towards,” “forward,” “later” and similar expressions. Examples of forward-looking statements in this press release include, among others, statements about VerImmune’s expectations regarding the potential benefits, activity, effectiveness and safety of AIR, and VerImmune’s plans, objectives and intentions with respect to the discovery and development of immunotherapies and medicines Forward-looking statements involve substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected in any forward-looking statement. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others: VerImmune’s limited operating history and no products approved for commercial sale; VerImmune’s need to obtain additional financing; risks related to clinical development, marketing approval and commercialization; You should not place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements. Forward looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release, and VerImmune assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, even if expectations change.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Gyroscope Therapeutics, which has operations in King of Prussia, raises $148M - March 31, 2021
- TCR² Therapeutics Acquires Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility & New VP of Technical Operations, Aaron Vernon - March 29, 2021
- Frederick Based Biotech Law Firm McBee Moore & Vanik IP, LLC Celebrates Five Years - February 18, 2021
- Heather Mudrick Joins Workforce Genetics to Lead Clinical Search Practice - February 12, 2021
- RNA Disease Diagnostics, Inc. Takes Exclusive License to Cutting-Edge Molecular RNA Diagnostic Platform Technology from UMB and UMBC - February 4, 2021