Philadelphia-based LucasPye Bio announces first contract manufacturing partnership
LucasPye Bio, a Philadelphia biologics contract development and manufacturing organization, has formed a partnership with Africa-based genomics company IndyGeneUS AI aimed at advancing targeted therapeutics focused on health disparities.
Under the collaboration, LucasPye will make novel therapeutics for IndyGeneUS of Nairobi, Kenya, to use in animal studies, clinical trials and the commercial market post-regulatory approval.
Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“The fact that we can speed this company to market is a part of my mission,” said LucasPye founder and CEO Tia Lyles-Williams. “Scientists need support and an experienced commercialization team. These guys have commercially viable assets, community support, and most importantly they are focused on equity in drug discovery and diversity in clinical trials. This is core to my company’s mission of focusing on underserved populations.”
The IndyGeneUS partnership is the first customer deal announced by LucasPye. The company has other potential customers in its pipeline. “Unfortunately, we are not at liberty to share their company names at this time,” Lyles-Williams said.
In May, IndyGeneUS announced it had reached collaborative agreements with the KAVI Institute of Clinical Research at The University of Nairobi and heath data company Afya Rekod to secure pathogen sequencing capability in Africa to support Covid-19 genomic surveillance initiatives. The collaboration provides IndyGeneUS with access to more 150,000 potential research participants of African descent and enables the company to address the lack of diversity in clinical trials.
IndyGeneUS, which has a U.S. office in Washington, D.C., is working to create the world’s largest block-chain encrypted repository of indigenous and diasporic (those who left their original homeland) African clinical data for discovering therapeutic gene targets and driving precision health equity.
Click here to read more via The Philadelphia Business Journal.
Latest posts by BioBuzz Media (see all)
- Emergent BioSolutions Secures Multi-Year Development and Manufacturing Agreement with Providence Therapeutics for its mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, PTX-COVID19-B - September 14, 2021
- Ariel Gruswitz, JD, Joins Facility Logix as Associate Director - September 14, 2021
- USP launches an Office of Organizational Culture, Equity and Inclusion Excellence headed by Chief Equity Officer and Senior Advisor Debra Joy Pérez, Ph.D. - September 13, 2021
- Boyds Opens US Office in Philadephia Area - September 13, 2021
- AbbVie and Rockville’s REGENXBIO Announce Eye Care Collaboration - September 13, 2021