Thermo Fisher Scientific to Acquire QIAGEN N.V.
– Expands specialty diagnostics portfolio with attractive molecular diagnostics capabilities, including infectious disease testing
– Complements leading life sciences offering with innovative sample preparation, assay and bioinformatics technologies
– Creates significant value and is expected to be immediately accretive to adjusted earnings per share after close
WALTHAM, Mass. and VENLO, Netherlands, March 3, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO), the world leader in serving science, and QIAGEN N.V. (NYSE: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA), a leading global provider of molecular diagnostics and sample preparation technologies, today announced that their boards of directors, as well as the managing board of QIAGEN N.V., have unanimously approved Thermo Fisher’s proposal to acquire QIAGEN for €39 per share in cash. The offer price represents a premium of approximately 23% to the closing price of QIAGEN’s common stock on the Frankfurt Prime Standard on March 2, 2020, the last trading day prior to the announcement of the transaction. Thermo Fisher will commence a tender offer to acquire all of the ordinary shares of QIAGEN.
The transaction values QIAGEN at approximately $11.5 billion at current exchange rates, which includes the assumption of approximately $1.4 billion of net debt.
“We are excited to bring together our complementary offerings to advance our customers’ important work, from discovery to diagnostics,” said Marc N. Casper, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Thermo Fisher Scientific. “This acquisition provides us with the opportunity to leverage our industry-leading capabilities and R&D expertise to accelerate innovation and address emerging healthcare needs. For shareholders, we expect the transaction to be immediately accretive and to generate significant cost and revenue synergies.”
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Dr. Anthony Fauci & AGT’s Jeff Galvin Join ‘I AM BIO’ to Discuss Future of HIV Treatments - September 14, 2021
- Data Center Firm DataBridge Sites Expands into Philadelphia, Maryland, and Chicago | Business Wire - September 7, 2021
- VaLogic acquires vacant Frederick building to create tech hub - August 31, 2021
- New Frederick facility delivers in-demand lab, workspace for growing biotech firms - August 27, 2021
- Intralytix Receives Fast Track NIH SBIR Contract to Develop a Universal, Scale-independent AI-based Platform for Manufacturing High Titer Bacteriophage Preparations for Clinical Applications - August 18, 2021