Alexandria Real Estate Equities Plans 200K SF Lab Building To Kick Off Huge Rockville Project
An affiliate of life sciences giant Alexandria Real Estate Equities filed plans for a 200K SF research and development building as part of an 18-acre project on Darnestown Road. The Montgomery County Planning Board is scheduled to hear the plans on July 29.
The affiliate, ARE-Maryland No. 49 LLC, acquired the property in November 2019 for $25M, property records show.
The property sits directly to the north of GlaxoSmithKline‘s global vaccine research and development center. That 635K SF complex, sitting on a 28-acre property, was acquired by GI Partners in 2017 for $338M.
ARE’s 18-acre property is envisioned for three lab buildings totaling 530K SF, plus two parking garages. The first phase, Building A, sits on the northwest corner of the site along Darnestown Road.
The developer is proposing a five-story building reaching up to 100 feet tall, with ceiling heights larger than conventional office to accommodate research and development tenants.
Montgomery County‘s life sciences market has benefited from increased demand throughout the coronavirus pandemic, with billions of dollars flowing to life sciences companies developing vaccines in the county. This strong demand has brought the market’s vacancy rate down to 3%, according to JLL, and experts have said more spec development is needed to accommodate tenants looking for quick move-ins.
Click here to read more via BISNOW.
Latest posts by BioBuzz Media (see all)
- Federal Realty Plans 10-Story Life Science Facility at Pike & Rose to Fuel Extension of Montgomery County’s Life Science and Biotech Corridor to North Bethesda - December 1, 2021
- BioHealth Capital Region Spotlight: Creative Bio-Peptides Awarded $5.78 from NIH to Develop Breakthrough Treatments for Neuroinflammatory/Neurodegenerative Indications - November 30, 2021
- IndyGeneUS AI, Inc. to Acquire the World’s First Blockchain-Mediated Free Market For Genetic Data, EncrypGen - November 29, 2021
- NeuExcell Therapeutics, Inc. Signs Lease with The Discovery Labs to Establish Corporate Headquarters in the Philadelphia Region - November 23, 2021
- Red Cell Forms Zephyr AI to Revolutionize Drug Discovery and Precision Medicine - November 23, 2021