Alexandria Real Estate Equities Plans 200K SF Lab Building To Kick Off Huge Rockville Project
An affiliate of life sciences giant Alexandria Real Estate Equities filed plans for a 200K SF research and development building as part of an 18-acre project on Darnestown Road. The Montgomery County Planning Board is scheduled to hear the plans on July 29.
The affiliate, ARE-Maryland No. 49 LLC, acquired the property in November 2019 for $25M, property records show.
The property sits directly to the north of GlaxoSmithKline‘s global vaccine research and development center. That 635K SF complex, sitting on a 28-acre property, was acquired by GI Partners in 2017 for $338M.
ARE’s 18-acre property is envisioned for three lab buildings totaling 530K SF, plus two parking garages. The first phase, Building A, sits on the northwest corner of the site along Darnestown Road.
The developer is proposing a five-story building reaching up to 100 feet tall, with ceiling heights larger than conventional office to accommodate research and development tenants.
Montgomery County‘s life sciences market has benefited from increased demand throughout the coronavirus pandemic, with billions of dollars flowing to life sciences companies developing vaccines in the county. This strong demand has brought the market’s vacancy rate down to 3%, according to JLL, and experts have said more spec development is needed to accommodate tenants looking for quick move-ins.
Click here to read more via BISNOW.
Latest posts by BioBuzz Media (see all)
- Adaptive Phage Therapeutics Appoints Robert J. Hopkins, MD, MPH & TM, FACP, FIDSA, to Chief Medical Officer - July 30, 2021
- Delaware allocates additional $10M for Ready-to-Go Lab Space Grants - July 29, 2021
- Mason’s Michael Buschmann and team at start-up AexeRNA Therapeutics Inc. pursue patents for improved COVID-19 vaccines - July 29, 2021
- Emergent BioSolutions to Resume Manufacturing Covid-19 Vaccine at Bayview Facility - July 29, 2021
- MaxCyte Announces Pricing of Upsized Offering and Approval to List on the Nasdaq Global Select Market - July 29, 2021