Deborah Hemingway, Ph.D. named CEO of MDC
Dr. Hemingway brings more than 20 years of entrepreneurial, scientific, and investing experience in business formation, technology commercialization, startup leadership, and medical device entrepreneurship. Prior to joining MDC, she was an active member of the Maryland entrepreneurial ecosystem as a serial entrepreneur, angel investor, philanthropist, and board member.
Dr. Hemingway is a mentor in the FedTech accelerator and sits on the advisory boards of eight biotech companies in the Mid-Atlantic region, including Pathotrak, Relavo, Playwell, and Aloe Therapeutics. She is a venture partner and serves on a number of medtech committees at NextGen Venture Partners. She was recognized as the UMD Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship as the 2019 Angel Investor of the Year.
Dr. Hemingway earned a Ph.D. in biophysics from the University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) after completing dual bachelor’s degrees at Ohio University. She currently lives in central Maryland with her husband and four children.
“We are delighted to have Dr. Hemingway join the MDC Team as CEO. Deborah brings great energy and vital experience to further the development of MDC. The MDC Partners are excited to be working with Deborah to grow the MDC Portfolio,” said Dr. Gil Blankenship, Founder of MDC.
About the Maryland Development Center
The Maryland Development Center (MDC), founded in 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, is a MedTech Startup Studio that provides engineering support, business development services, and funding to create and support companies commercializing medical devices. The studio works with inventors to develop their ideas into working prototypes and marketable products and form companies that will grow and create value for both their shareholders and all of society. MDC is located in the heart of Baltimore, near the University of Maryland Medical Center, and Johns Hopkins University where the founding partners practice, teach, and research state of the art medicine.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Gyroscope Therapeutics, which has operations in King of Prussia, raises $148M - March 31, 2021
- TCR² Therapeutics Acquires Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility & New VP of Technical Operations, Aaron Vernon - March 29, 2021
- Frederick Based Biotech Law Firm McBee Moore & Vanik IP, LLC Celebrates Five Years - February 18, 2021
- Heather Mudrick Joins Workforce Genetics to Lead Clinical Search Practice - February 12, 2021
- RNA Disease Diagnostics, Inc. Takes Exclusive License to Cutting-Edge Molecular RNA Diagnostic Platform Technology from UMB and UMBC - February 4, 2021