Deborah Hemingway, Ph.D. named CEO of MDC
Dr. Hemingway brings more than 20 years of entrepreneurial, scientific, and investing experience in business formation, technology commercialization, startup leadership, and medical device entrepreneurship. Prior to joining MDC, she was an active member of the Maryland entrepreneurial ecosystem as a serial entrepreneur, angel investor, philanthropist, and board member.
Dr. Hemingway is a mentor in the FedTech accelerator and sits on the advisory boards of eight biotech companies in the Mid-Atlantic region, including Pathotrak, Relavo, Playwell, and Aloe Therapeutics. She is a venture partner and serves on a number of medtech committees at NextGen Venture Partners. She was recognized as the UMD Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship as the 2019 Angel Investor of the Year.
Dr. Hemingway earned a Ph.D. in biophysics from the University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) after completing dual bachelor’s degrees at Ohio University. She currently lives in central Maryland with her husband and four children.
“We are delighted to have Dr. Hemingway join the MDC Team as CEO. Deborah brings great energy and vital experience to further the development of MDC. The MDC Partners are excited to be working with Deborah to grow the MDC Portfolio,” said Dr. Gil Blankenship, Founder of MDC.
About the Maryland Development Center
The Maryland Development Center (MDC), founded in 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, is a MedTech Startup Studio that provides engineering support, business development services, and funding to create and support companies commercializing medical devices. The studio works with inventors to develop their ideas into working prototypes and marketable products and form companies that will grow and create value for both their shareholders and all of society. MDC is located in the heart of Baltimore, near the University of Maryland Medical Center, and Johns Hopkins University where the founding partners practice, teach, and research state of the art medicine.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Adaptive Phage Therapeutics Announces Strategic Agreement with ARLG to Support Phase 1b/2 Cystic Fibrosis Study - November 2, 2021
- Children’s National’s Dr. Kurt Newman Named WBJ’s 2021 CEO of the Year - October 26, 2021
- SciNeuro Pharmaceuticals and Mabylon AG to Collaborate on Development of Novel Therapeutics for Neurological Diseases | Business Wire - October 26, 2021
- Contraline Closes $10.7 Million Series A Financing to Become a Clinical Stage Company | Business Wire - October 21, 2021
- D&D Pharmatech Raises $51M in Series C Financing to Advance Phase 2 Clinical Trials for Neurodegenerative, Fibrotic, and Metabolic Diseases - October 19, 2021