BIO 2019 Showcases Philadelphia as a City Where the Story of Gene Therapy has Come Full Circle
This week’s BIO 2019 in Philadelphia represents recognition for a city where a revolution in medicine is underway and the story of #GeneTherapy has come full circle
Philadelphia’s emergence as a global leader in cell and gene therapy — and the coming wave of precision medicine in the FDA pipeline — will be highlighted in the next-generation biotherapeutics track at the 2019 BIO International Convention in Philadelphia.
Right now Philadelphians are cheering like mad for these new life science companies.
Jeffrey D. Marrazzo , Co-Founder and CEO of Spark Therapeutics shared his thoughts, stating “We think Philadelphia right now is probably an underappreciated center for potential biotechnology innovation and commercialization.”
The city had a rough start in cell and gene therapy many years ago when a man died during an experimental treatment. That event actually had a ripple effect causing people to give up on gene therapy around the world. True to the spirit and grit that is Philadelphia, local researchers never gave up, even when many others around the world did.
“It’s so fitting for Philadelphia to be the place where gene therapy is being resurrected,” shared Jim Greenwood, President, Biotechnology Innovation Organization.
This year’s BIO 2019 theme, It Starts with One, will highlight the impact that new genomic breakthroughs are making in the lives of patients.
To learn more about BIO2019 and Philadelphia Life Sciences, visit http://www.convention.bio.org.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- D&D Pharmatech Raises $51M in Series C Financing to Advance Phase 2 Clinical Trials for Neurodegenerative, Fibrotic, and Metabolic Diseases - October 19, 2021
- RoosterBio Names Life Science Industry Leader, Timothy M. Kelly, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - October 5, 2021
- Adaptive Phage Therapeutics Awarded Additional $8 Million from U.S. Department of Defense for Clinical Advancement of Phage to Address Unmet Needs in Infectious Diseases - September 30, 2021
- Cartesian Therapeutics to double footprint, headcount in Gaithersburg - September 30, 2021
- D&D Pharmatech Announces Agreement with Salubris Pharmaceuticals for Licensing and Development of DD01 in China | Business Wire - September 28, 2021