TEDCO’s Dr. Arti Santhanam: Bringing New Innovations to Market
TEDCO Drives Tech Commercialization Among University Partners
By Kristi S. Halford
Apr 13, 2021
Technology | Venture Capital + Angel Investors | Medical Innovation
In 2012 when TEDCO’s Maryland Innovation Initiative (MII) was created, Maryland ranked 38th in the nation for commercialization. Today, it ranks 8th.
According to Dr. Arti Santhanam, Executive Director of MII, this shift is critical. She shares, “Investment in tech commercialization and the creation of new business translates to income flowing into the state through follow-on investments, creation of jobs, and retention of the talent trained in labs and corporations in Maryland.”
Maryland consistently ranks highest nationally for an educated workforce, but there aren’t enough opportunities for young talent to work and grow here, making it difficult to retain the tremendous talent developed in our state and federal labs.
However, the state is a great location for start-ups. Baltimore ranks 5th in Forbes’ “Top 10 Rising Cities for Startups,” based on costs, education levels, college presence, entrepreneurship rates, working-age population growth and venture capital investment. Maryland has a diverse entrepreneurial ecosystem attracting the next wave of entrepreneurship and next generation of solutions to problems in health, food security, clean energy, and clean technology.
Click here to read more via I95Business
Latest posts by BioBuzz Media (see all)
- 5 Questions with Kayla Valdes, Ph.D. Senior Manager, Horizon Therapeutics - September 20, 2021
- Emergent BioSolutions Secures Multi-Year Development and Manufacturing Agreement with Providence Therapeutics for its mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, PTX-COVID19-B - September 14, 2021
- Ariel Gruswitz, JD, Joins Facility Logix as Associate Director - September 14, 2021
- USP launches an Office of Organizational Culture, Equity and Inclusion Excellence headed by Chief Equity Officer and Senior Advisor Debra Joy Pérez, Ph.D. - September 13, 2021
- Boyds Opens US Office in Philadephia Area - September 13, 2021