Each month we feature employers who stand out by going above and beyond to create a positive impact within the community and their workforce. This month we met up with Emergent BioSolutions, a flagship biotech company in Maryland with its headquarters and product development facility in Gaithersburg, two manufacturing facilities in Baltimore and a fill/finish facility in Rockville. This year they will also be celebrating their 20th year anniversary and a track record of innovation and leadership that is driven by vision. The company’s vision is “To protect and enhance 50 million lives by 2025,” which by itself is worthy of recognition. What made them stand out was how they embody that vision not only through their work, but also through the ways they give back to the community. Their contributions have made an impact externally in their communities, but also internally as they have inspired a workforce of ‘doers.’ Though community volunteering has always been a part of their culture, five years ago they created the eGIVE program to help employees give back more formally, create a greater impact and engage more employees in the process. The eGIVE program has five focus areas:
- Protecting those who protect us
- Training tomorrow’s scientific leaders
- Advancing global health
- Improving our communities
- Sustaining our environment
“Here I am feeling dead tired and for this kid, it’s his best day ever. It was so uplifting and it became my best day ever too,” Kieffer recollected fondly.Miko Neri, Senior Director, Corporate Communications also recollected a story that she feels shows the real level of impact their employees can have by giving back. She recalled the very first school tour they did for a group of high school girls as part of a Young Women In Bio (YWIB) event. One of the girls was so enthralled by one of their scientists that she asked her to be a mentor. Her father later sent a note to Emergent that the event really helped his daughter decide on what to major in for college. Years later, that same student attended a panel that featured the Emergent scientist at an MdBio ATLAS College & Career Readiness Program, where she again thanked the scientist she had met at Emergent for inspiring and motivating her to pursue her science career. Her father again noted to Emergent that it was that YWIB event that made the difference in her path. Not only are these volunteer efforts impacting individuals in our communities but the nonprofits they support also get a highly engaged corporate partner.
“MdBio Foundation is extremely grateful to Emergent BioSolutions for their longtime collaboration and enthusiastic support of experiential STEM programming across Maryland.” Said Brian Gaines, CEO MdBio Foundation. “For many years, Emergent has partnered with our organization to fund hands-on educational programs for under-served middle and high school students”
Other popular groups or events that Emergent employees support locally include:
- Habitat for Humanity
- Northwest High School, Germantown
- Patterson High School, Baltimore
- Family Crisis Center in Baltimore
- BioTechnical Institute of Maryland
- Manufacturing Day
- Beautifying Community Gardens
- Hero Dogs
- Focus your efforts on a few areas that tie to your mission and then dive in.
- Set clear goals and guidelines for teams to organize around.
- Empower teams to develop and manage the local program as well as to own building and nurturing the relationship with community organizations.
- Keep at it and improving it. There is no better way than to engage employees and have them champion your cause.
The following two tabs change content below.
Over the past 8 years, Chris has grown BioBuzz into a respected brand that is recognized for its community building, networking events and news stories about the local biotech industry. In addition, he runs a Recruiting and Marketing Agency that helps companies attract top talent through a blended model that combines employer branding and marketing services together with a high powered recruiting solution.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Paragon Bioservices Strengthens its Commitment to World Class GMP Viral Therapy Manufacturing with the Appointment of Two Key Leadership Positions and Advanced Commitment to Quality - May 8, 2019
- Three Examples That Show Why NCI is a Goldmine of Blockbuster Technologies for Commercialization - May 7, 2019
- Ashley Nash Joins Workforce Genetics to Lead Recruiting and Employer Branding Practice - May 7, 2019