Inaugural Investment Conference Marks Inflection Point for the BioHealth Capital Region
The first Biohealth Capital Region Investment Conference kicks off this week in Montgomery County. The conference marks an important inflection point for a region whose entrepreneurs have been calling for more active investment resources for years. The event also fulfills a promise made by organizers at past BioHealth Capital Region Forums to bring more investment activity to the region.
The event is being organized by a committee of collaborators, including BioHealth Innovation, MedImmune, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, TEDCO, and J.P. Morgan, and is modeled after similar investment forums that Wilson Sonsini and J.P. Morgan host in other regions.
The inaugural event will be held at MedImmune and will bring together 95 entrepreneurial companies who are seeking capital to grow, along with 25 international venture capitalists and strategic biopharmaceutical companies to interact on a one-on-one basis.
The goal of this conference is to help the entrepreneurs to meet the VC’s or strategic partners who are ready to invest and can help them grow their business here within the region.
Attendance to this event was by invitation only but with 95 venture-seeking companies participating, organizers clearly filled the docket with a spot for many of the regions most promising startups.
There has been very little media around this highly anticipated conference, but you can watch a recent interview with BioHealth Innovation’s President and CEO, Richard Bendis for more on the event.
BHI Interview from CRTW 441
The BioHealth Capital Region has been united in a common mission over these past four years. That mission is to become a Top 3 Biopharma Hub by 2023 in GEN’s Top 10 U.S. Biopharma Clusters List. Just last week it was announced that the region reclaimed it’s #4 ranking on GEN’s list, an accomplishment that was mostly due to the increase in investment and M&A activity over the past year.
If this week’s conference is a success, not only will it warrant a sophomore event next year, but it very may well be the catalyst the region needs to accomplish that coveted #3 ranking.
Best of luck this week to all of the companies and entrepreneurs who are participating!
We will continue to follow this story and seek to get updates from organizers and attendees later this week once the conference has concluded.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Contraline Closes $10.7 Million Series A Financing to Become a Clinical Stage Company | Business Wire - October 21, 2021
- D&D Pharmatech Raises $51M in Series C Financing to Advance Phase 2 Clinical Trials for Neurodegenerative, Fibrotic, and Metabolic Diseases - October 19, 2021
- RoosterBio Names Life Science Industry Leader, Timothy M. Kelly, Ph.D., as New Chief Executive Officer - October 5, 2021
- Adaptive Phage Therapeutics Awarded Additional $8 Million from U.S. Department of Defense for Clinical Advancement of Phage to Address Unmet Needs in Infectious Diseases - September 30, 2021
- Cartesian Therapeutics to double footprint, headcount in Gaithersburg - September 30, 2021