GSK Opens New Vaccine R&D Facility in Rockville, Maryland
A Global Pharmaceutical Company Excited to Join Maryland Biotech Community
December 15, 2016
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) officially opened their state of the art R&D facility in Rockville, MD this week to cement their commitment to pioneering vaccine development in the United States. The occasion was celebrated with remarks expressing a shared gratitude and focus on innovation. GSK’s CEO, Sir Andrew Witty, and other company executives expressed their excitement to join a vibrant biotech community as they become another major anchor company within the Biohealth Capital Region.
As Sir Witty put it, “one of the best perks of being a biotech company in Maryland is the fantastic neighbors right around the corner.” Along with other vaccine research and development leaders like MedImmune, Emergent, PATH and NIH, as well as emerging companies like Novavax, Aeras, Sanaria and many more, GSK joins a Maryland region that is becoming the vaccine alley that leads straight to the FDA at the end of the block.
Lieutenant Governor, Boyd Rutherford, reciprocated those messages of gratitude and emphasized how Maryland is bio-rich with great partners who are ready step up and welcome GSK to the neighborhood. Tours of the labs and fireside chats with GSK scientists and innovators were a welcoming way to show the company’s intention of connecting with the greater Maryland biotech industry, as well as the American scientific network.
Looking forward, GSK hopes to become a leader in the region and placed
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Gyroscope Therapeutics, which has operations in King of Prussia, raises $148M - March 31, 2021
- TCR² Therapeutics Acquires Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility & New VP of Technical Operations, Aaron Vernon - March 29, 2021
- Frederick Based Biotech Law Firm McBee Moore & Vanik IP, LLC Celebrates Five Years - February 18, 2021
- Heather Mudrick Joins Workforce Genetics to Lead Clinical Search Practice - February 12, 2021
- RNA Disease Diagnostics, Inc. Takes Exclusive License to Cutting-Edge Molecular RNA Diagnostic Platform Technology from UMB and UMBC - February 4, 2021