When QIAGEN, an international biotech company with a location in Montgomery County, MD, was a young company over 20 years ago, its employees fostered a culture of service and community. From that volunteer-focused tradition, QIAGEN developed their community service initiative, a benefit that all QIAGEN employees now receive. Each year, every employee is given 8 company-sponsored hours to devote to a service project of their choice. Tricia Muir, Chair of the Community Service Committee, works with her team to raise awareness about QIAGEN’s community service initiative and to educate employees on the importance of making the most of their volunteer hours. One way they help employees use this benefit is by bringing the organizations who need volunteers directly to their employees. Every year, QIAGEN hosts a Volunteer Fair where organizations set up booths for employees to learn about their mission and sign up to get involved. Here are a few of the top benefits that organizations get from a built-in service program:
- Volunteering is truly a benefit. QIAGEN employees find that having a day of service built into their year recharges them and gives them new passion and excitement for the work they do within QIAGEN. By giving back to the community, they are better able to give of themselves in their professional and private lives.
- It creates a culture of service-oriented individuals and teams. This culture supports everyone from the employees, to the company, to the communities that QIAGEN serves. By offering a volunteer day as a benefit, QIAGEN attracts employees that care deeply about the world around them and the work that they do.
- By offering each employee a day to focus on a community outside of their labs and offices, QIAGEN keeps an eye on the bigger picture of the positive effect that their work and their employees can have on the people and communities around them.
WorkXO is a BioHealth Capital region firm whose mission is to upgrade workWe’ll cover a few other companies in the coming months but for now we’d encourage you to check out QIAGEN and why it’s such a great place to work. https://www.qiagen.com/us/careers/ Author: Liora Knizhnik BioBuzz Community Manager
The following two tabs change content below.
Over the past 8 years, Chris has grown BioBuzz into a respected brand that is recognized for its community building, networking events and news stories about the local biotech industry. In addition, he runs a Recruiting and Marketing Agency that helps companies attract top talent through a blended model that combines employer branding and marketing services together with a high powered recruiting solution.
Latest posts by Chris Frew (see all)
- Q&A with Virginia (Ginny) Espina, PhD, MT(ASCP) - February 18, 2019
- AURP Announces New CEO and Launches ‘AURP HQ2’ in Washington, DC Area - February 7, 2019
- Emergent to Host BioManufacturing Job Fair in Baltimore - February 5, 2019