TEDCO 2021 Recap – Awards, New Hires, and Media Initiatives
Be sure to check out Part 1 of our 2021 TEDCO recap!
2021 was a phenomenal year for TEDCO (Maryland Technology Development Corporation)! So phenomenal, in fact, that we didn’t think it would do the organization justice to squeeze all their achievements into one article!
Last week we shared some of TEDCO’s successful initiatives and funding programs from 2021. Now, we want to turn our focus on the people of TEDCO and all they achieved in the past year.
New Hires and Appointments
TEDCO welcomed several new leaders to its team in 2021. Their collective work experience spans decades and includes expertise in strategic planning, service, and entrepreneurship that will boost the organization’s efforts in promoting economic empowerment in Maryland.
- Mindy Lehman as TEDCO’s Chief Government Relations & Policy Officer leads government affairs and serves as TEDCO’s representative at the state and federal levels.
- Elizabeth Good Mazhari as TEDCO’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) officer develops and implements DEI strategy that includes short and long-term goals and metrics to track TEDCO’s progress and help deliver an inclusive and equitable TEDCO experience for internal and external stakeholders.
- Jack Miner as TEDCO’s Chief Investment Officer leads TEDCO’s investment activity through the Social Impact, Seed, and Maryland Venture Funds.
- Amritha Jaishankar as Executive Director of TEDCO’s Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund (MSCRF) oversees all MSCRF activities and six programs accelerating stem cell research, commercialization, and cures. She previously served as the Managing Director/Director, Programs & Strategic Alliances for MSCRF and was also the recipient of the 2021 BioBuzz Community Builder Award (see below).
BioBuzz welcomes the newest members of the TEDCO family! We look forward to supporting and working with you in 2022 and beyond.
As an independent instrumentality of the State of Maryland, TEDCO is managed by a 19-member Board of Directors, 14 of whom are appointed by the Governor, two appointed by the President of the Maryland Senate, and two appointed by the Speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates – each to staggered 4-year terms. The 19th member is the Maryland Secretary of Commerce, who serves ex officio. Each member appointed by the Governor is confirmed by the Senate. In 2021, the Board elected four new Executive Officers and welcomed several new members. The newly elected Executive Officers include the following diverse slate:
- Chair – Omar S. Muhammad, Director of the Entrepreneurial Development and Assistance Center, Morgan State University. Omar is TEDCO’s first African American to serve as Chair of its Board of Directors.
- Vice Chair – Chung Hei Sing, CEO of Applied Derivative Research.
- Treasurer – Michael J. Howard, Founder of the MJH Group.
- Secretary – Jennifer Elisseeff, Morton F. Goldberg Endowed Professor of ophthalmology and a professor of orthopedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Highlighting the Community’s Innovators – TEDCO Talks
TEDCO Talks is a 30-minute video and podcast series capturing the who’s who of leaders and players in Maryland’s innovation ecosystem. Launched in November 2020 as an informal fireside chat, this series highlights some of the amazing work done by thought leaders and organizations in supporting the state’s ecosystem, particularly during COVID-19. The sessions also include valuable information about entrepreneurial resources and programs.
To date TEDCO CEO and TEDCO Talks host Troy LeMaile-Stovall has engaged with 32 leaders from county economic development corporations, business chambers, and technology councils, and the University System of Maryland about the emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities facing our region.
“Our goal was to offer an engaging new way for entrepreneurs to experience more candid conversations with our community thought leaders and this has provided exactly that. You take some risks when you start a new program; we’re so glad this one paid off with a loyal following as well as recognition as a finalist for the 2021 BioBuzz Media Award,” said Tammi Thomas, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer at TEDCO. “We encourage new and returning listeners to stay up-to-date on all the latest episodes by following along on TEDCO’s YouTube Channel.
Awards and Recognitions
2021 saw several TEDCO executives rightfully recognized for their significant achievements while others were accepted into prestigious leadership programs.
- Arti Santhanam (Executive Director of the Maryland Innovation Initiative) was chosen for Leadership Maryland’s Class of 2021. She is one of 52 business and community leaders from across the state chosen to participate in the professional development program dedicated to building a better Maryland. She was also one of The Daily Record’s 2021 Maryland’s Top 100 Women Honorees!
- Amritha Jaishankar (Executive Director of the Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund) recently received the 2021 BioBuzz Community Builder Award, which honors someone in the region who has gone above and beyond their responsibilities to make an impact on their local life sciences ecosystem.
- Tammi Thomas (Chief Marketing and Communications Officer) was selected for Leadership Greater Washington 2022 Cohort She will participate in an intensive ten-month program that exposes professionals to regional civic issues through education, connection, and knowledge sharing. She will leverage this collective knowledge and resources to make the Greater Washington region a more dynamic and collaborative community.
- Cassy Haber (Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications) joined the Next Up Program 2021 cohort. The year-long leadership program provides training, professional and personal development, and networking opportunities to individuals who demonstrate leadership within their organization as well as roles external to their organization.
- Bill Collier (Director of Investment Business Development) was recognized in RealList Connectors 2021, which featured 20 people who supported technologists and entrepreneurs across the DMV.
- Troy LeMaile-Stovall (Chief Executive Officer) was featured in CEO’s You Should Know
Cheers once again to a wonderful 2021, TEDCO! We can’t wait to see what 2022 has in store.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Nivedita recently received her Ph.D. from the University of Maryland, Baltimore in biochemistry and molecular biology and an MS in law (patent law). She is passionate about science writing and communication, and is actively involved with the Maryland biotech scene through her work with Women in Bio- Capital Region , AWIS (Baltimore Chapter) and BioBuzz.